Jarchives: Jars of Clay Fan Forum

RETURN TO MAIN SITE
Sign up Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
jarsofhill

Newbie Like a Child
Registered:
Posts: 2
Reply with quote  #1 
Dan,

First of all, I dig the new album. Great way to keep it coming.

I was wondering though if you intentionally change the sound of your vocals each album to fit the unique style that you're covering. For example, your vocals for your more acoustic side (Who We Are Instead & Redemption Songs) are a bit more raspy/guttural than what I feel like you're doing now. Whereas lately, I feel as if your vocals are more punctuated and controlled to fit the electronic/pop sound you're doing for Long Fall.

By the way, I feel like your voice nails the sound that you're going for with each album. Just something I noticed. Want to weigh in?

murlough23

Ghost in the Moon
Registered:
Posts: 2,109
Reply with quote  #2 
I've noticed this difference since the first album vs. Much Afraid. The first album had more slurred, muddy, "alternative" sort of vocals. Much Afraid's vocals were much more clear and "sensitive". The raspier side of Dan started showing up as early as "Revolution", I think.
__________________
DISCLAIMER: The preceding post was a statement of opinion, and does not reflect the views of the members of Jars of Clay, the moderators of Jarchives, or any member of the Holy Trinity. In fact, it is only my opinion that this is my opinion. In my opinion, you may choose to believe that my opinion is fact, if in fact you are of the opinion that you are allowed to choose what you believe, which presupposes the opinion that you do in fact exist in the first place - in my humble opinion, of course. It is my opinion that all of my opinions are humble opinions, but this does not indicate a bias on my part against opinions which are, in my opinion, proud opinions.
JARSHEART47

Avatar / Picture

Seatbelt Tubist
Registered:
Posts: 193
Reply with quote  #3 
I have also noticed a wider range evolve.  Dan, I love your vocals !!

Michelle (Jark Heart)
musiclover16

Seatbelt Tubist
Registered:
Posts: 197
Reply with quote  #4 

i love ur voice 2 it's just beautiful (whether singing or talking). i would love some day (if i ever get the confidence,when or if) i become a singer i could sing a song with you.i'd probably faint just standing next him.lol ok i take that back i wouldnt. but i have a crush.

murlough23

Ghost in the Moon
Registered:
Posts: 2,109
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
but i have a crush.who doesnt?


I don't. But I like his voice.

You might want to direct your attention at a non-married man...

__________________
DISCLAIMER: The preceding post was a statement of opinion, and does not reflect the views of the members of Jars of Clay, the moderators of Jarchives, or any member of the Holy Trinity. In fact, it is only my opinion that this is my opinion. In my opinion, you may choose to believe that my opinion is fact, if in fact you are of the opinion that you are allowed to choose what you believe, which presupposes the opinion that you do in fact exist in the first place - in my humble opinion, of course. It is my opinion that all of my opinions are humble opinions, but this does not indicate a bias on my part against opinions which are, in my opinion, proud opinions.
murlough23

Ghost in the Moon
Registered:
Posts: 2,109
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
no iits fine,i know he's married.but im just a teen.i cant marry anyway.


Sure you can. It would just be somebody your parents picked out for you.

So yeah, better that you don't.

__________________
DISCLAIMER: The preceding post was a statement of opinion, and does not reflect the views of the members of Jars of Clay, the moderators of Jarchives, or any member of the Holy Trinity. In fact, it is only my opinion that this is my opinion. In my opinion, you may choose to believe that my opinion is fact, if in fact you are of the opinion that you are allowed to choose what you believe, which presupposes the opinion that you do in fact exist in the first place - in my humble opinion, of course. It is my opinion that all of my opinions are humble opinions, but this does not indicate a bias on my part against opinions which are, in my opinion, proud opinions.
Juk

Ghost in the Moon
Registered:
Posts: 2,575
Reply with quote  #7 

David!

__________________
juca
JARSHEART47

Avatar / Picture

Seatbelt Tubist
Registered:
Posts: 193
Reply with quote  #8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by murlough23
Quote:
but i have a crush.who doesnt?


I don't. But I like his voice.

You might want to direct your attention at a non-married man...

I could not agree more.  LISTEN to Jars, and LOOK at boys your own age.  Married folks are off limits.

Michelle (Jark Heart)
murlough23

Ghost in the Moon
Registered:
Posts: 2,109
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JARSHEART47
I could not agree more.  LISTEN to Jars, and LOOK at boys your own age.  Married folks are off limits.


I had a couple celebrity crushes when I was a teen... Jaci Velasquez and Rebecca St. James, actually. At least they were my age! (Ironically, RSJ is still available. I'm not, but then I outgrew my crushes once I realized there were girls in "real life" who actually liked me. Not many, but hey, I only needed one.)

__________________
DISCLAIMER: The preceding post was a statement of opinion, and does not reflect the views of the members of Jars of Clay, the moderators of Jarchives, or any member of the Holy Trinity. In fact, it is only my opinion that this is my opinion. In my opinion, you may choose to believe that my opinion is fact, if in fact you are of the opinion that you are allowed to choose what you believe, which presupposes the opinion that you do in fact exist in the first place - in my humble opinion, of course. It is my opinion that all of my opinions are humble opinions, but this does not indicate a bias on my part against opinions which are, in my opinion, proud opinions.
romelB

Avatar / Picture

Seatbelt Tubist
Registered:
Posts: 282
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by murlough23
Quote:
Originally Posted by JARSHEART47
I could not agree more.  LISTEN to Jars, and LOOK at boys your own age.  Married folks are off limits.


I had a couple celebrity crushes when I was a teen... Jaci Velasquez and Rebecca St. James, actually. At least they were my age! (Ironically, RSJ is still available. I'm not, but then I outgrew my crushes once I realized there were girls in "real life" who actually liked me. Not many, but hey, I only needed one.)


Im worse, i still have a crush on Lindsay Lohan up to now. Well, she's definitely my age...
musiclover16

Seatbelt Tubist
Registered:
Posts: 197
Reply with quote  #11 

omg you guys act like im gonna try to steal him from his wife or sumthing(and im not saying its possible.im only 16 for christ sake and still,i wouldnt want sum1 just cuz their cute.) .you can't control who you have a crush on.i just think he's cute,thats it.i dont wanna date him or anything.i'd want sumbody my age anyway.god.jeez i should of never said i have a crush on him.silly me.

murlough23

Ghost in the Moon
Registered:
Posts: 2,109
Reply with quote  #12 
I knew it was just a "celebrity crush". People have those all the time, and you are right, there's a major difference between finding a celebrity attractive and having a genuine romantic interest in someone you know in real life who is available and (roughly) your age. I was just being facetious, for the lolz.
__________________
DISCLAIMER: The preceding post was a statement of opinion, and does not reflect the views of the members of Jars of Clay, the moderators of Jarchives, or any member of the Holy Trinity. In fact, it is only my opinion that this is my opinion. In my opinion, you may choose to believe that my opinion is fact, if in fact you are of the opinion that you are allowed to choose what you believe, which presupposes the opinion that you do in fact exist in the first place - in my humble opinion, of course. It is my opinion that all of my opinions are humble opinions, but this does not indicate a bias on my part against opinions which are, in my opinion, proud opinions.
jobabsie

Avatar / Picture

Seatbelt Tubist
Registered:
Posts: 254
Reply with quote  #13 
I love the acoustic voice of dan and I'm missing it. Well, I'm still 19
__________________
I'm Waiting For The World To Fall..
murlough23

Ghost in the Moon
Registered:
Posts: 2,109
Reply with quote  #14 
Acoustic voice? It's not a guitar. He usually doesn't run it through any effects or anything.
__________________
DISCLAIMER: The preceding post was a statement of opinion, and does not reflect the views of the members of Jars of Clay, the moderators of Jarchives, or any member of the Holy Trinity. In fact, it is only my opinion that this is my opinion. In my opinion, you may choose to believe that my opinion is fact, if in fact you are of the opinion that you are allowed to choose what you believe, which presupposes the opinion that you do in fact exist in the first place - in my humble opinion, of course. It is my opinion that all of my opinions are humble opinions, but this does not indicate a bias on my part against opinions which are, in my opinion, proud opinions.
musiclover16

Seatbelt Tubist
Registered:
Posts: 197
Reply with quote  #15 

thank you,i though you were for real. im like omg these ppl r making a big deal out of nothing

murlough23

Ghost in the Moon
Registered:
Posts: 2,109
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by musiclover16

thank you,i though you were for real. im like omg these ppl r making a big deal out of nothing



Usually when folks around here make a big deal out of nothing, it's just for giggles. Even if it's not, treat it like it is, and you'll have a much better shot at keeping your sanity.

__________________
DISCLAIMER: The preceding post was a statement of opinion, and does not reflect the views of the members of Jars of Clay, the moderators of Jarchives, or any member of the Holy Trinity. In fact, it is only my opinion that this is my opinion. In my opinion, you may choose to believe that my opinion is fact, if in fact you are of the opinion that you are allowed to choose what you believe, which presupposes the opinion that you do in fact exist in the first place - in my humble opinion, of course. It is my opinion that all of my opinions are humble opinions, but this does not indicate a bias on my part against opinions which are, in my opinion, proud opinions.
jobabsie

Avatar / Picture

Seatbelt Tubist
Registered:
Posts: 254
Reply with quote  #17 
I totally agree with you ML16
__________________
I'm Waiting For The World To Fall..
murlough23

Ghost in the Moon
Registered:
Posts: 2,109
Reply with quote  #18 

__________________
DISCLAIMER: The preceding post was a statement of opinion, and does not reflect the views of the members of Jars of Clay, the moderators of Jarchives, or any member of the Holy Trinity. In fact, it is only my opinion that this is my opinion. In my opinion, you may choose to believe that my opinion is fact, if in fact you are of the opinion that you are allowed to choose what you believe, which presupposes the opinion that you do in fact exist in the first place - in my humble opinion, of course. It is my opinion that all of my opinions are humble opinions, but this does not indicate a bias on my part against opinions which are, in my opinion, proud opinions.
worlds_apart

Avatar / Picture

Seatbelt Tubist
Registered:
Posts: 135
Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:
Originally Posted by musiclover16

omg you guys act like im gonna try to steal him from his wife or sumthing(and im not saying its possible.im only 16 for christ sake and still,i wouldnt want sum1 just cuz their cute.) .you can't control who you have a crush on.i just think he's cute,thats it.i dont wanna date him or anything.i'd want sumbody my age anyway.god.jeez i should of never said i have a crush on him.silly me.


OMG!! ROFLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought he was cute too, then I went on to like someone else. BUT I'm still in love with his lyrical depth and vocals. But that's ALL 

__________________
"We are people borne of sound. The songs are in our eyes. Gonna wear them like a crown. Walk out, into the sunburst street. Sing your heart out, sing my heart out. I've found grace inside a sound. I found grace, it's all that I found. And I can breathe now. Breathe now." - U2

*Everything I say is MY opinion not solid fact.
murlough23

Ghost in the Moon
Registered:
Posts: 2,109
Reply with quote  #20 
I don't want to play moral police here. If people know how to keep a "celebrity crush" strictly in the category of recognizing good qualities that God made in a person but not acting on them (which is probably advisable even if the celebrity in question is NOT married), then I don't think it's an issue. But only a person knows their own intentions, so just try to keep 'em in check, and the rest of us who don't know what's going on in your head will have to remember not to be judgmental about it.

The ability to "admire without desiring" is actually good practice for those of you who aren't married yet, because when you do get married, you don't suddenly go blind. You will still recognize that there are attractive members of the opposite sex out there, and you know what? Praise God for making them that way. Now it's just not a burden for you - it's something you don't have to act upon because you found what you were looking for already. You can just consider them a good catch for someone else. That's what I do for female celebrities whose minds and hearts and appearances I consider attractive, and even for female friends "in real life".

__________________
DISCLAIMER: The preceding post was a statement of opinion, and does not reflect the views of the members of Jars of Clay, the moderators of Jarchives, or any member of the Holy Trinity. In fact, it is only my opinion that this is my opinion. In my opinion, you may choose to believe that my opinion is fact, if in fact you are of the opinion that you are allowed to choose what you believe, which presupposes the opinion that you do in fact exist in the first place - in my humble opinion, of course. It is my opinion that all of my opinions are humble opinions, but this does not indicate a bias on my part against opinions which are, in my opinion, proud opinions.
musiclover16

Seatbelt Tubist
Registered:
Posts: 197
Reply with quote  #21 

in my comment i said i was only 16. well i'm 17 now :does a dance:: sept.4

Juk

Ghost in the Moon
Registered:
Posts: 2,575
Reply with quote  #22 
oO


__________________
juca
worlds_apart

Avatar / Picture

Seatbelt Tubist
Registered:
Posts: 135
Reply with quote  #23 
Quote:
Originally Posted by musiclover16

in my comment i said i was only 16. well i'm 17 now :does a dance:: sept.4


OH NO......


__________________
"We are people borne of sound. The songs are in our eyes. Gonna wear them like a crown. Walk out, into the sunburst street. Sing your heart out, sing my heart out. I've found grace inside a sound. I found grace, it's all that I found. And I can breathe now. Breathe now." - U2

*Everything I say is MY opinion not solid fact.
murlough23

Ghost in the Moon
Registered:
Posts: 2,109
Reply with quote  #24 
Quote:
in my comment i said i was only 16. well i'm 17 now oes a dance:: sept.4


One year away from no longer being jailbait for those older dudes, I guess.

__________________
DISCLAIMER: The preceding post was a statement of opinion, and does not reflect the views of the members of Jars of Clay, the moderators of Jarchives, or any member of the Holy Trinity. In fact, it is only my opinion that this is my opinion. In my opinion, you may choose to believe that my opinion is fact, if in fact you are of the opinion that you are allowed to choose what you believe, which presupposes the opinion that you do in fact exist in the first place - in my humble opinion, of course. It is my opinion that all of my opinions are humble opinions, but this does not indicate a bias on my part against opinions which are, in my opinion, proud opinions.
musiclover16

Seatbelt Tubist
Registered:
Posts: 197
Reply with quote  #25 

what???

romelB

Avatar / Picture

Seatbelt Tubist
Registered:
Posts: 282
Reply with quote  #26 

One year away from opening a bottle with an excise tax and... Kill Bill.



murlough23

Ghost in the Moon
Registered:
Posts: 2,109
Reply with quote  #27 
Quote:
One year away from opening a bottle with an excise tax and... Kill Bill.


I thought you could see R-rated movies on your own at age 17.

But yeah, skip Kill Bill. Disgusting.

__________________
DISCLAIMER: The preceding post was a statement of opinion, and does not reflect the views of the members of Jars of Clay, the moderators of Jarchives, or any member of the Holy Trinity. In fact, it is only my opinion that this is my opinion. In my opinion, you may choose to believe that my opinion is fact, if in fact you are of the opinion that you are allowed to choose what you believe, which presupposes the opinion that you do in fact exist in the first place - in my humble opinion, of course. It is my opinion that all of my opinions are humble opinions, but this does not indicate a bias on my part against opinions which are, in my opinion, proud opinions.
bluej

Avatar / Picture

Seatbelt Tubist
Registered:
Posts: 215
Reply with quote  #28 
I just think with every album his voice just gets better and better. In terms of voice, I'd have to say that Much Afraid was a little too much on the soft side. Maybe because it sounded different compared to the self-titled, and I wasn't used to it. But I got over it when I listened to them live.

Hey there murlough23, I don't see how that was haha funny. Ya sound serious in one post and then afterwards you say it's for laughs. But maybe that's your way of joking? haha. I'm going to just keep saying this crush crush crush crush crush crush crush crush crush crush crush crush.... is someone going to whoop me into shape? Okay, I'm just trying to funny. Hope you don't take offense

Oh and I'm only a few years younger than Dan (though I'm such a kid at heart). But I do admire Dan for the thoughts and wisdom he imparts, and the expression in the songs.

__________________
blue jark, formally known as blue jar
musiclover16

Seatbelt Tubist
Registered:
Posts: 197
Reply with quote  #29 

-_-,um no,don't think so. i will not be doing any of that.

murlough23

Ghost in the Moon
Registered:
Posts: 2,109
Reply with quote  #30 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluej
Hey there murlough23, I don't see how that was haha funny. Ya sound serious in one post and then afterwards you say it's for laughs.


I don't "sound" like anything. You're reading typed words and inferring a tone of voice.

__________________
DISCLAIMER: The preceding post was a statement of opinion, and does not reflect the views of the members of Jars of Clay, the moderators of Jarchives, or any member of the Holy Trinity. In fact, it is only my opinion that this is my opinion. In my opinion, you may choose to believe that my opinion is fact, if in fact you are of the opinion that you are allowed to choose what you believe, which presupposes the opinion that you do in fact exist in the first place - in my humble opinion, of course. It is my opinion that all of my opinions are humble opinions, but this does not indicate a bias on my part against opinions which are, in my opinion, proud opinions.
bluej

Avatar / Picture

Seatbelt Tubist
Registered:
Posts: 215
Reply with quote  #31 
Maybe the right word is "seem" because that is what I meant in my head when I said "sound." Sometimes I don't use the right words (especially when I'm sleep deprived), and I'll say something that didn't come out right. Ever say "Can you open the lights?" when it should be "Can you turn on the lights? Okay, maybe I'm the only one.

__________________
blue jark, formally known as blue jar
murlough23

Ghost in the Moon
Registered:
Posts: 2,109
Reply with quote  #32 
Seem, sound, whatever. If you're unsure whether something is a joke, you can always ask, and I promise to answer honestly.
__________________
DISCLAIMER: The preceding post was a statement of opinion, and does not reflect the views of the members of Jars of Clay, the moderators of Jarchives, or any member of the Holy Trinity. In fact, it is only my opinion that this is my opinion. In my opinion, you may choose to believe that my opinion is fact, if in fact you are of the opinion that you are allowed to choose what you believe, which presupposes the opinion that you do in fact exist in the first place - in my humble opinion, of course. It is my opinion that all of my opinions are humble opinions, but this does not indicate a bias on my part against opinions which are, in my opinion, proud opinions.
worlds_apart

Avatar / Picture

Seatbelt Tubist
Registered:
Posts: 135
Reply with quote  #33 

I didn't start buying R rated movies til I was 18. I just didn't think about it when I was 17. I don't know why.  Well, they've all come from the $5 bin at Wal Mart.


__________________
"We are people borne of sound. The songs are in our eyes. Gonna wear them like a crown. Walk out, into the sunburst street. Sing your heart out, sing my heart out. I've found grace inside a sound. I found grace, it's all that I found. And I can breathe now. Breathe now." - U2

*Everything I say is MY opinion not solid fact.
murlough23

Ghost in the Moon
Registered:
Posts: 2,109
Reply with quote  #34 
Quote:
I didn't start buying R rated movies til I was 18. I just didn't think about it when I was 17. I don't know why. Well, they've all come from the $5 bin at Wal Mart.


Which is the best place to find quality films.

__________________
DISCLAIMER: The preceding post was a statement of opinion, and does not reflect the views of the members of Jars of Clay, the moderators of Jarchives, or any member of the Holy Trinity. In fact, it is only my opinion that this is my opinion. In my opinion, you may choose to believe that my opinion is fact, if in fact you are of the opinion that you are allowed to choose what you believe, which presupposes the opinion that you do in fact exist in the first place - in my humble opinion, of course. It is my opinion that all of my opinions are humble opinions, but this does not indicate a bias on my part against opinions which are, in my opinion, proud opinions.
worlds_apart

Avatar / Picture

Seatbelt Tubist
Registered:
Posts: 135
Reply with quote  #35 

We'll they were the first two in the Final Destination series.  I love those movies.


__________________
"We are people borne of sound. The songs are in our eyes. Gonna wear them like a crown. Walk out, into the sunburst street. Sing your heart out, sing my heart out. I've found grace inside a sound. I found grace, it's all that I found. And I can breathe now. Breathe now." - U2

*Everything I say is MY opinion not solid fact.
murlough23

Ghost in the Moon
Registered:
Posts: 2,109
Reply with quote  #36 
Quote:
Originally Posted by worlds_apart

We'll they were the first two in the Final Destination series.  I love those movies.



That's Wal-Mart for you: Profanity-free music... and all the blood and gore you could ever ask for!

__________________
DISCLAIMER: The preceding post was a statement of opinion, and does not reflect the views of the members of Jars of Clay, the moderators of Jarchives, or any member of the Holy Trinity. In fact, it is only my opinion that this is my opinion. In my opinion, you may choose to believe that my opinion is fact, if in fact you are of the opinion that you are allowed to choose what you believe, which presupposes the opinion that you do in fact exist in the first place - in my humble opinion, of course. It is my opinion that all of my opinions are humble opinions, but this does not indicate a bias on my part against opinions which are, in my opinion, proud opinions.
romelB

Avatar / Picture

Seatbelt Tubist
Registered:
Posts: 282
Reply with quote  #37 
Yeah, tell me about it. Clean version of 21st Century Breakdown? haha
Wait, i don't know Wal-Mart. But i think SM here in the Philippines is pretty much the same thing. They banned The Da Vinci Code and i think Brokeback Mountain too. But they allowed films that're worse than those! I think their bans are there just for the fuss.

But I like Kill Bill.

----
I like Dan's voice better in "softie".
murlough23

Ghost in the Moon
Registered:
Posts: 2,109
Reply with quote  #38 
Quote:
Wait, i don't know Wal-Mart. But i think SM here in the Philippines is pretty much the same thing. They banned The Da Vinci Code and i think Brokeback Mountain too. But they allowed films that're worse than those! I think their bans are there just for the fuss.


Yeah, it's inconsistent. It's more about checking off things on a list than actually examining the emotional and intellectual impact that movies have on people.

__________________
DISCLAIMER: The preceding post was a statement of opinion, and does not reflect the views of the members of Jars of Clay, the moderators of Jarchives, or any member of the Holy Trinity. In fact, it is only my opinion that this is my opinion. In my opinion, you may choose to believe that my opinion is fact, if in fact you are of the opinion that you are allowed to choose what you believe, which presupposes the opinion that you do in fact exist in the first place - in my humble opinion, of course. It is my opinion that all of my opinions are humble opinions, but this does not indicate a bias on my part against opinions which are, in my opinion, proud opinions.
worlds_apart

Avatar / Picture

Seatbelt Tubist
Registered:
Posts: 135
Reply with quote  #39 

But isn't that the right way? Clean, profanity free music and bloody, gory movies full of f-bombs?


__________________
"We are people borne of sound. The songs are in our eyes. Gonna wear them like a crown. Walk out, into the sunburst street. Sing your heart out, sing my heart out. I've found grace inside a sound. I found grace, it's all that I found. And I can breathe now. Breathe now." - U2

*Everything I say is MY opinion not solid fact.
murlough23

Ghost in the Moon
Registered:
Posts: 2,109
Reply with quote  #40 
Quote:
Originally Posted by worlds_apart
But isn't that the right way? Clean, profanity free music and bloody, gory movies full of f-bombs?


I figure we have a movie rating system for a reason; the logical thing would apply that to who can rent/buy movies as well, and let those of us who are adults be discerning about our music instead of doing the discernment for us. Sure, I realize unwitting parents will still buy their kids music full of nasty language and whatnot (and probably take their kids to see gory movies, too), but it's time to let the parents be good parents. The more they expect that places of business will do that for them, the more they'll blow off their own responsibilities.

__________________
DISCLAIMER: The preceding post was a statement of opinion, and does not reflect the views of the members of Jars of Clay, the moderators of Jarchives, or any member of the Holy Trinity. In fact, it is only my opinion that this is my opinion. In my opinion, you may choose to believe that my opinion is fact, if in fact you are of the opinion that you are allowed to choose what you believe, which presupposes the opinion that you do in fact exist in the first place - in my humble opinion, of course. It is my opinion that all of my opinions are humble opinions, but this does not indicate a bias on my part against opinions which are, in my opinion, proud opinions.
worlds_apart

Avatar / Picture

Seatbelt Tubist
Registered:
Posts: 135
Reply with quote  #41 

I was just saying that we don't want music full of Fbombs and all that, but we'll watch a movie full of profanity and sex and go recommend it to someone and tell them that it only has one or two sex scenes in it. And it doesn't bother us one bit. But I do it too. I shouldn't though. I'm preaching to myself to. Don't worry.


__________________
"We are people borne of sound. The songs are in our eyes. Gonna wear them like a crown. Walk out, into the sunburst street. Sing your heart out, sing my heart out. I've found grace inside a sound. I found grace, it's all that I found. And I can breathe now. Breathe now." - U2

*Everything I say is MY opinion not solid fact.
murlough23

Ghost in the Moon
Registered:
Posts: 2,109
Reply with quote  #42 
Quote:
Originally Posted by worlds_apart

I was just saying that we don't want music full of Fbombs and all that, but we'll watch a movie full of profanity and sex and go recommend it to someone and tell them that it only has one or two sex scenes in it. And it doesn't bother us one bit. But I do it too. I shouldn't though. I'm preaching to myself to. Don't worry.



Context is important. How the F-bomb was used matters more to me than the number of times it was used. "F*** you" or talking about someone you f***ed offends me. (I don't need to hear about your sexual escpaades even without the f-bomb involved.) Saying something is f***ing awesome does not, but because it offends others, I refrain from saying that sort of thing.

Similarly, a movie with a sex scene in it is not necessarily going to offend me, but if the movie's all about who's gonna get in bed with whom and it calls that "love", that's offensive. Violent movies only offend me if they glorify it (i.e. everything Tarantino ever did). Something like Saving Private Ryan, I might not be able to watch personally b/c the blood and guts gross me out, but I respect it b/c it's trying to illustrate how horrible war is.

__________________
DISCLAIMER: The preceding post was a statement of opinion, and does not reflect the views of the members of Jars of Clay, the moderators of Jarchives, or any member of the Holy Trinity. In fact, it is only my opinion that this is my opinion. In my opinion, you may choose to believe that my opinion is fact, if in fact you are of the opinion that you are allowed to choose what you believe, which presupposes the opinion that you do in fact exist in the first place - in my humble opinion, of course. It is my opinion that all of my opinions are humble opinions, but this does not indicate a bias on my part against opinions which are, in my opinion, proud opinions.
worlds_apart

Avatar / Picture

Seatbelt Tubist
Registered:
Posts: 135
Reply with quote  #43 

I'm just saying overall. We as the church have compromised in this area.


__________________
"We are people borne of sound. The songs are in our eyes. Gonna wear them like a crown. Walk out, into the sunburst street. Sing your heart out, sing my heart out. I've found grace inside a sound. I found grace, it's all that I found. And I can breathe now. Breathe now." - U2

*Everything I say is MY opinion not solid fact.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.